Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Pines in the Desert

I am going to be a very busy gal this year. Not only am I participating in the PCA Virtual Retreat, but I also signed up for KaterAcres 2015 Polymer Clay Challenge.  My commitment for this challenge was to create something in polymer clay each week. Katie was sweet to give us some Challenge Prompts to help us in coming up with some ideas for our projects. So I am following some of her Challenge Prompts besides coming up with a few of my own. There are some great tutorials out there on the web and I still have some tutorials which I purchased that I have yet to try. I am hoping to enjoy a full year of creating especially now that I don't have all the responsibilities that I used to have like a one acre lot. Downsizing to a smaller house does have it perks!

Well, my first week's challenge theme was "pine cones". Believe it or not, we do have some variety of pines that do well in our desert. Though it is not the same as going to a nice forest campground and smelling those pines...nothing like it! I did look around for some tiny pine cones that I could possibly use as a mold but I just couldn't find any. And I am still not happy with my sculpturing abilities so I didn't want to go that route just yet.  Lucky for me, I came across a tiny silver pine cone charm and I made a mold out of it. My idea for a project was to make a simple pendant (sometimes less is better than more) with tiny pine cones and some pine needles. The next step was to decide on the background. I chose a terra cotta background since I live in the desert. This is what I started with: Fimo (Terra Cotta), a thin slice of Premo White Granite, Penni Jo's Flexible Molds (Cabachon molds) and my pine cone mold. I included a picture of that tiny pine cone charm. I think I found it at JoAnn's.


I added some copper embossing powder
and some Pearl Ex Super Bronze mica powder
on the pine cones and pendant

I also made two faux terra cotta beads for the necklace

A fairly simple project for my first challenge but I really like how it turned out! And it is a great way to start the challenge off. A project every week is going to be challenging for me because that means I have to clean my studio after every project...that in itself will be a challenge for this messy artist! 

Thanks for stopping by and have a great day! 








7 comments:

  1. I love this Lupe, especially the Terra Cotta earthy feel. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your lovely comment, Katie! :)

      Delete
  2. What a great design, Lupe! I am hoping to get a little sun today so I can take pics (it will just be beads, though) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Monique! I am looking forward to seeing your beautiful creations! Oh, was just over Marlene's blog and saw that you were the one that won the virtual retreat on her blog! Congratulations!! :) So much fun we are going to have on this retreat! :)

      Delete
  3. That is beautiful, what a great idea. Very southwest. Can't wait to see what else you come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. By the way, that's my favorite pendant mold. I have about 50 that need finishing. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bonnie! :) Oh my, 50 pendants? Though that I doesn't surprise me that much, because you are always creating a lot of beautiful things in polymer clay and beading. You know, I have been wanting to use this mold but never had the time to. I think it will probably be one of my favorites this year too!

      Delete