Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Fantasy Vessel PC Swap, Part 1

I joined a polymer clay swap this month....International Polymer Clay Swaps on Facebook. The theme is anything fantasy-like container of sorts (vessel). My partner for this swap is the lovely, Nettonya Ryane from Surrey, British Columbia, in the Vancouver area. This is my second swap with this group and it is always fun to see what you will receive from your partner.

I gave this plenty of time and really tried my best to make a vessel. I even used two different tutorials but I wasn't pleased with my four tries, so I gave up on it and decided to cover a tin which was also permitted in the swap. Perhaps, I was trying to make the project too difficult, but I haven't given up entirely on making a Polymer Clay type Inro. Here is a sample of what I am talking about for those who have no idea what the heck I am talking about...Bettina Welker's tutorial on a Polymer Clay Pebble Amulet/Inro.  



This is picture of a vessel (in this case an Amulet/Inro). The top actually pulls out and it is hollow inside. Pretty neat! Looks like a fabulous tutorial and if you click on her name, it will take you to her Etsy Store where you can purchase the tutorial. I actually used one of Donna Kato's (click here for a link to her gallery of gorgeous Inro Boxes) tutorials for my attempt at making a Inro Box.. I tried using a digital transfer method on mine, like Donna Kato's, but next time I think I will try making one without adding a transfer to it. Then, when I have mastered that, I can attempt to add a transfer. It is all a learning experience and that is why I love participating in swaps! 

Moving on to the piece that I made for Nettonya...a polymer clay covered tin. Covering tins with polymer clay is something I am familiar with and have done several times before. We also had to make a Twinchie (Like an Inchie...tiles, like ceramic tiles that can be used for wall art and can be grouped or mounted on canvas) to include in our swap.  A Twinchie is 2 inches square.

Titled: Night in Day

I sealed both images with PYM II before applying Magic Glos. I also used mica powders and alcohol inks for the stamped areas. I have to say, that my sun stamp is probably one of my favorite stamps which I have used for several of my polymer clay projects.

Twinchie

A gift for Nettonya
inspired by one of Randee Ketzel's  tutorials

I thought the pendant had that same fantasy-like feel to it and went along with our theme. I sure hope Nettonya was pleased with the swap that I sent her. 

I am headed out for a little R & R in beautiful Santa Fe, New Mexico this weekend to get out from out triple digit temps here (118 degrees this weekend here in sunny Phoenix, AZ...scorching HOT!!). My wonderful hubby set me up in the beautiful resort. I am thinking that I will take advantage of a back massage while I am there. Then back down to my hometown of Las Cruces to give my dad a hand with my mom. He desperately needs a break from caregiving. So, unfortunately, I will not be able to see what I receive from Nettonya (perhaps I will on Facebook) till I return in a couple weeks...reason why this post has two parts. When I return, I will post the lovely swap that Nettonya sent me. We both gave our best to get it to each other before the end of the month. You can never tell with the mail and customs...praying and hoping she receives her package before the end of this month as well! 

Thank you for stopping by...have an awesome day!







No comments:

Post a Comment