Thursday, June 14, 2012

Getting Back to My Latin Roots

Lately, I have been having a blast with wire and polymer clay. One of our guild members, Kathy Canuel (Paper Sensei) gave us a thorough demonstration on wire wrapping at our last monthly guild meeting. I made a couple pair of earrings which I gave away in late May, early June. Here is a picture of one the of the pairs.


I was trying to get these done in a hurry and noticed I was short on crystals on one pair, so I had to take the wire-wrapping out and start over...good lesson to learn, make sure to count the number of beads/crystals used. This is the before picture. I am sure you can probably tell now that I pointed it out, though I am getting better at it!
The end of May, I went up to visit my brother who lives in Albuquerque, New Mexico. He was sweet to drive my hubby and I up to Santa Fe for the day. It has been about 8 plus years since I last visited Santa Fe...beautiful as always! We went to visit the church with the famous spiral staircase (Loretto Chapel) which was my second visit there.

Loretto Chapel Spiral Staircase

Old Town Santa Fe

As always, I had to go and browse at all the beautiful sterling silver Indian jewelry. Lucky for me my hubby was with me and purchased this beautiful collection for me!


This beautiful piece of jewelry was made by Lorraine Martinez (The Journey of Life) from the Santo Domingo Pueblo. Unfortunately she does not have a website or I would have included the link. Her work is absolutely stunning. She uses porcupine quills in her jewelry, and well black onyx is one of my favorite stones so I just had to have it!  Black Onyx is supposed to enhance steadfastness and determination...setting one's mind to the task which is probably why I love this stone!  I always seem to gravitate to this particular stone as opposed to Turquoise which happens to be my birthstone though I love it as well, just happen to have more Black Onyx jewelry than Turquoise jewelry.  
I also came across some Peruvian style jewelry while I was up there which got me thinking of ways to incorporate that style with polymer clay. So here are a few styles that I came up with.


These earrings are all part of the 52 Pair of Earrings Challenge.  I sure hope you all don't get tired of reading about this challenge, since right now it is all that I can keep up with these days and I will probably be running a month late again. As you can see, I have been using wire wrapping techniques and I am trying to make my own style of ear wires as well. And I am happy to say that I am half way there...up to 23 pairs of earrings (Frida Kahlo earrings are my 23rd pair)!  I wouldn't say that I am a big fan of Frida Kahlo but she is a very big part of the Mexican culture. She was actually one of the weekly themes for our challenge. Since, I am trying to get back to my Latin roots, I decided to go for it. I actually bought a bag of these paddle spears just for these Frida Kahlo earrings...guess I will have to make more Peruvian style earrings. 
Well, in about a week, I have to pack up all my polymer clay. I am having some remodeling done and there will be tons of dust which I'd rather not have on my clay and clay tools. I am also headed up to Portland, Oregon the beginning of July and then out to visit my folks while all this remodeling is getting done. I probably won't have time to write any posts for awhile but I will be back in a month or so...unless some great giveaway happens to pop up that I just have to share!  

Take care and thanks for stopping by! 

2 comments:

  1. Lupe you did a great job with the earrings. I love Santa Fe it is one of my favorite places to visit. The jewlery vendors in the placita are all talented artists. I hope i get to see more of the frida kahlo earrings. I enjoy her expressions on canvas. I like her raw emotions she was able to put into her paintings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Rose! I love Santa Fe too! So many talented artists, I agree! I would love to make more Frida Kahlo earrings. I have a hard time mass producing creations...I like unique things, I guess.

    ReplyDelete