Saturday, February 18, 2012

A Cane Swap

I finally got all my canes done for our guild (AZPCG) cane swap but my pasta machine bit the dust after finishing the last cane! It was not an Atlas, but I did come across an Atlas and I plan to send that in to get the blades redone so I can easily take them apart for easier cleaning. I think I have gone through several pasta machines since I took up polymer clay...hoping the Atlas will last longer for me, we shall see.

Here are the canes that I created for the swap. We had to make 12 (I was corrected yesterday, thank goodness I made some extra canes, originally was 11!) canes for the swap, each being at least 3" long and the diameter of a quarter coin. My kaleidoscope canes were huge, so I was able to get 4 canes out of one huge cane. The translucent canes turned out beautifully!  I was able to get 6 petal canes from one medium size cane so I split them and made two sets each having 3 petal canes and one center.  The blue striped flower cane only made one. I ended up using a lot of translucent clay to pack it and it was difficult to reduce for me, because I usually leave them as petal canes rather than one larger flower. This is the huge reason that I left the translucent flower canes as petal canes and the last striped flower cane as a petal cane too. Plus, I think you can use them for more projects if left as petals, and they are much easier to slice thin!

          Kaleidoscope cane and a Striped Flower Cane          

 Kaleidoscope cane and a Shape Shifting cane

    Translucent Flower Petal Cane with a touch of Gold      

                  Translucent Flower Petal Cane with a touch of Silver


Striped Flower Petal Cane

I also included a sample of what can be done with the cane that I created. These creations below are examples of what can be done with each of the canes. All were sanded and buffed for a nice shine! I sure hope everyone likes the canes that I made and the sample creations as well.


                                         

  






I also came across these great cupcake boxes at Michael's and thought they could be used to package the canes (which are also wrapped with plastic wrap and sealed in a baggie).



It took me several weeks to get all of these done. It was fun, but I think it will be awhile before I do another cane swap. I won't show you the diasaster I have in my studio because it is quite messy! I have so many cane ends...guess it is time to make several scrap canes and definitely more translucent canes (for me this time around)! I am also looking forward to all the canes that I will be receiving. I will post them once I figure out what I am going to do with them...that should be fun!

Thank you for stopping by and have a great day!!








5 comments:

  1. I've seen canes being made, and it never ceases to amaze me how much work and artistic thought goes into them -- I couldn't do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your canes were beautiful and so was the packaging. You are my favorite "OVER ACHIEVER". Please don't ever stop doing that. I haven't looked at all my canes yet but I'm really looking forward to being able to make something with all of them.
    You are a sweet heart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous canes Lupe! I really like the striped flower petal cane. My pasta machine is an Atlas (an awesome thrift store find!) and I've been very happy with it. Hope it works great for you too! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI Lupe,
    Your canes were awesome and as Bonnie says, you packaged them in such a fun way that it was just like being the guest of honor at a birthday party. Thank you and thanks to all the guild participants in the swap for the great canes.
    And good luck on your pasta machine...what would we do without them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulosas cañas !!! me encantan todas.
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete