Thursday, April 14, 2011

Penguin Beads for Beads of Courage

Last month, I rented a publication from our Polymer Clay Guild library (AZPCG), Making Friends with Fimo by Bonnie Franklin. This pamphlet gives you good step-by-step instructions which is what I needed to come up with some cute focal beads for Beads of Courage. The little penquins looked like the easiest to try, so I started with those. I made two which were fairly easy. The sanding and buffing was a whole different matter...sanding and buffing...and more sanding and more buffing, till they had a good shine. I probably could have dipped them in Future but since kids would be handling them, I wasn't sure if that would be a good idea...although I did add just a touch of Future on the top by bail since that area was most difficult to sand and buff. I wanted to make sure the bail was there to stay, so I baked it along with the clay.  I used Premo to see if one could substitute it for Fimo and it held up.
This is the publication and it was printed some years back (1992).




I think I am going to have to try making the Raggedy Ann (bottom left), but probably make it a tad smaller. These little guys are about 1 1/4" tall and I think they are probably a little too big, but some middle-age kids might enjoy them.  They were fun to make...minus the sanding and buffing!  I think I will give my hands a rest before attempting to make more!

Thanks for stopping by and have an awesome day!

1 comment: